1932, she sat and successfully passed the Cambridge Junior Examination.
Twice during the period 1934-1938, she acted as head teacher of
Western Preparatory I.
August 1938, she was sent to The Bluff, Eleuthera as headteacher,
and the following year, she was awarded a scholarship to Tuskegee
Institute where she spent a year, resuming duties at The Bluff in
the early part of 1942, she was recalled to Nassau and became First
Assistant to the late Mr. Paul Albury at Southern Primary School
where she also acted unofficially as Head when Mr. Albury was engaged
in Tomato Canning operations during World War II.
1945 when Southern Senior School was started in what was formerly
the Technical Building on Wulff Road, Naomi Blatch was appointed
First assistant to the late Mr. Harold Nash.
headteachers under whom she taught were Mr. Carlton Francis, Mr.
Guy Pinder, and Mr. R. N. Sawyer, all of whom are deceased.
the post of Headteacher for a new Southern Preparatory School was
advertised, Mr. Sawyer encouraged Mrs. Blatch to apply and she was
was appointed Acting Headteacher of Southern Prep. III in January
1959. During the same year, she sat and successfully passed the
Professional Examination for Teachers which achievement confirmed
her in the post of Headteacher.
school (Southern Prep. No. III) was housed in the Abaco Association
Hall on Fowler Street South, in unsanitary conditions. Until changes
were made to remedy the situation there were about 160 pupils and
six teachers, but in a short time the one-room structure was over-flowing.
It was a strenuous task in some respects, but the teachers worked
harmoniously together and, by God's guidance, brought order and
happiness out of what could have been chaos and frustration. It
was a joyous day when the prefab building on Windsor Lane, the site
of which is now occupied by Stephen Dillet Primary School, was completed
and the children were transferred there. The change was fantastic!
Mrs. Blatch kept her post as Headmistress there until she retired
1981, Mrs. Blatch was rehired and stationed at Willard Patton Primary
School on Augusta Street. The five years she spent at Willard Patton,
where she taught some of her former student's grandchildren, were
interesting, enjoyable and rejuvenating.
grand dame of education was honoured by the Bahamas Government when
a local Primary School was named after her.