Robert Sandilands arrived in The Bahamas in 1830. During
that same year, he was appointed to the Executive Council. According
to the Votes Of The Bahamas Assembly 1840, Mr. Sandilands was a
judge in the General Court. In 1841, he was appointed Assistant
emancipation, Judge Sandilands granted portions of his land in Fox
Hill to the former slaves in the area so they might use it for farming.
The payments for these grants were either made by labour or the
profits earned from the sale of vegetables.
Sandilands considered the Africans residing in the village to be
a "fine body of industrious and content people... upon whose
labour one can always depend... for the wage of one shilling per
day". The Africans called the settlement `Sandilands Village.'
However the name was not officially instituted until 1849.
Sandilands, with a £100 colony grant, built a four mile carriage
road through his private property, leading through Creek Settlement
to the main Eastern road. The road was built to open proper communication
between Nassau and the fishing grounds on the south side of the
island and facilitate transport between Sandilands Village and the
1888, Sandilands Village was very successful. Six hundred inhabitants
resided in the area and lived in comparative peace and prosperity.
Primary School in this area is named after this former judge.